Sunday, December 20, 2009

News from the Akademi : Drive-Thru Edition v1.0

A friendly greeting and welcome to all of my fine friends on this winter's day. I do thank you most kindly for braving the electronic elements to swing past my corner this morning on your way to your day's duties.

I have today for you, a brief tale to relate. In the course of your minstrel's wanderings, I often look at the signs and postings scattered about through our world for not only are they informative, they are also invariably entertaining.  Case in point for you : a small hand-written sign I encountered while going through a drive-through a few days back.  Pardon me.   "Drive-Thru".

...

Yes, yes. I'm going to just let that one go. No, the sign in question was placed over the menu, and stated that one of the items upon was unavailable at the present time, and cited a reason for that. I regret, my friends, that I did not think to snap a photograph of the sign in question and shall certainly do so in future. Further, let me state that it was very nice of this establishment to not only state a thing was not to be had, but also a measure of why. I'm a student of the 'Why'. I like 'Whys'. Why is important, if you ask me.

But I digress. The reason stated for the lack of the cited food item was, and I quote, "macanical difficulties". I sighed at the sight. I shook my head a bit. I certainly will not say that I am the world's most proficient speller or student of grammar, but such sights do make me lose a little faith in the educational system. Or perhaps not so much lose faith, but underscore the need to improve it. In any event. I let it go, and resumed 'driving-thru' as it were, to tender payment for my meal and to receive same. As I pulled up to the window I saw a second sign, and this time my friends, a laugh was impossible to suppress. It was advertising a scholarship program. This one in fact.

I'll give you a moment to parse, my friends.

Is such a thing laudable? Of course it is. I just couldn't help but wonder at the timing. In the back of my mind, I dearly hope for the sake of my own amusement, that the scholarship sticker was applied to the "drive-thru" window only minutes after the 'macanical difficulties' sign was penned. Perhaps it's a not-so-subtle message to an employee? One can only hope and wonder, my friends.

And laugh.  I think laughter is entirely called for here.  I know I certainly indulged.

Ah well. I think that's that for the time being. Once again - Thank you most kindly for casting your gaze over this corner of the world once more, and I look for forward to your return. May the approaching holidays be happy ones, ladies and gents.

No comments:

Post a Comment