Good morn to you, my fine friends and passersby. I thank you kindly for once again stopping past my humble corner, and for granting indulgence as I work to scrape together a few posters to cover up the bricks, at least somewhat.
As I browsed the newsstands this morning, I was pointed to a news clipping that I found absolutely fascinating. Let me share it with you.... let's see now.. which pile did that get placed in... ah, here we go. Do take a moment to look. I won't wander away, you have my word, friends.
Now let me stress for the record, that I point this out to you not to impress upon you any personal politics. That's quite unrelated to my point today. No, what made your modern bard's eyebrows raise somewhat was the mathematics involved.
Look here at this portion, "Reports say Palin makes $200,000 a speech, which Macaluso says is 'around the ballpark.' " So we can call the figure reasonably accurate according to the arranger of the speaker in question. Now also this part here, "Organizers hope to sell 1,000 tickets at $200 a plate." Now then, gentle reader, as I am wont to say : Parse that. Take these base facts and let them coalesce.
Yes - yes indeed, I do believe I can see the light of it in your eyes. Well done.
To wit :
Speaking Fee : ~$200,000
Funds Raised : $200 x 1000 tickets = $200,000
Or putting that in a simple mathematical statement :
$200,000 = $200,000
This speaking event is ostensibly to raise funds. At current count, based simply upon the two facts above, the total projected funds raised after just the speaker's fee, would seem to be a grand total of $0.
Now, my friends - this simple minstrel is hardly an expert in the business of public appearances and/or the raising of funds, and I would never claim to be. Additionally, I would be remiss if I did not also point out that yes, the organizers of the event hope to also raise additional funds via photographic opportunities. All the same - I can't help but feel that there may be some shortsightedness here. Were I to undertake such a job, I'm reasonably certain that (especially given the current economic climate) keeping the cost reasonable relative to the financial gain would be a requisite of the task. Something on a 1:2 ratio would seem fair, yes? Reasonably project that you'll raise funds equivalent ,say, to the cost of the drawing attraction, plus another equivalent amount to go to the target of those funds. Seems reasonable enough.
I've no idea at all of the other expenses involved of course, but I'm certain there's venue rental, cost of food and preparation (it is a dinner event after all), security - etc. We've only -met- the speaker's fee by the plate cost to get in, if 1000 attend. The rest of those expenses are apparently being met by photography. Are we going to be vending $200 photographs perhaps? Honest question, my friends, I have no idea what the price tag runs on photographs with prominent figures.
But it does, ladies and gents, seem a stretch to think this event will hold anything but PR profit (possibly) for the speaker, rather than generating needed revenue for the Cancer research in question. We might seek to empower the organizers with a couple of fine pocket calculators as a holiday treat, because I simply fail to see personally where money is going to be raised in any quantity.
Something to ponder certainly, and the world is all about pondering and examining, failing and growing. 'Tis how we learn, after all.
Well, my friends, I imagine I have occupied a sufficient quantity of your time this fine Saturday morning. Do wander by my virtual street corner again another day when the mood strikes you. As always - I shall endeavor in my way to entertain.
Saturday, December 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment